Apr 30, 2008

empty titles

What does the word “title “ means ?

From Answer.com I found.
A formal appellation attached to the name of a person or family by virtue of office, rank, hereditary privilege, noble birth, or attainment or used as a mark of respect.
And in Law : The aggregate evidence that gives rise to a legal right of possession or control. The coincidence of all the elements that constitute the fullest legal right to control and dispose of property or a claim

Such a common word and so misunderstood .

We , the entitled individuals, sometimes we forget what that title we hold means. Which are our rights and which our responsibilities ? We think that from the moment we are given a name not matter how and why, this is when any effort pause. Some titles are given because we have work to get them and from a junior manager we become a respectful manager. To keep it we have to prove everyday we deserve it.

There are some titles that there are given because of the situation. Like father, mother, son, daughter. In such cases the work begins after entitlement. And this is very confusing for some people and out of that confusion they have claims, demands, expectations without willing to work for that.

In a work environment there is the job description paper to make clear to workers which are their responsibilities and which are their rights. But in other relationships things are not clear. We have to find ourselves what we are entitled to do and what not. Not knowing is just an excuses. I’m not saying that I can not accept that might be a solid reason but I believe that if you don’t know something we need to know we try to learn it.

I have been told that I don’t respect titles. It is true. I don’t. I show disrespect to empty titles. I don’t claim that I’m perfect. I have worked to honor my titles as possible as I could for my own peace of mind. But at the same time I was working hard to fill other peoples’ entitlements to make the work for them. But this was so wrong and this peace of mind was an illusion.

It hurts when the holders of empty titles call me disrespectful or egoistic but I’m practicing pain management and they say it works. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

you are welcome to post a comment