Feb 8, 2008

Sailing

Sailing is the art of controlling a sailing vessel. By adjusting the rigging, rudder and dagger or center board, a sailor manages the force of the wind on the sails in order to change the direction and speed of a boat. Mastery of the skill requires experience in varying wind and sea conditions, as well as knowledge concerning sails boats “ (1)




Have you ever go for sailing. Beautiful experience. OK most of the times. Took some lessons many years ago. The captains teach us, the sailors-to-be about the sails boat, charts, knots, and winds. Early fall and we had the chance to sail in different weather conditions. No winds, mild winds, perfect winds, strong winds. Each time we had to adapt to the wind, follow his orders, and use its power to propel. Some times we could stay relaxed in the deck and enjoy our cruise. Some others we had to be alerted, to work continuously.

At the beginning or the journey we had to plan the trip. choose our destination and design the route on the chart to reach it. Usually our root was a straight line but wind and sea conditions made us to change our plans. “tack, tack” the captain ordered. And the straight line became a zig zigging . Maybe there is not a “perfect” wind. But I recall one time, which seemed like perfect. The boat was sailing smoothly in the sea. I could hear the wind making music with sails. And the boat along with the sea waves participate too.

Many years passed since then but I often go back to those moments. When there is a mess in my mind , I close my eyes and escape there. Me , the sailing boat, the sea and the invisible wind. It is there , its breezing. I can feel it my face, I can see it in seas waves, I can hear it talking with the sails. The vessel moves swimmingly and the wind blows away all the problems of my mind. And then the vessel and I become one thing and surrender to the winds gentle power.

Sailing is the art of controlling a sailing vessel. A successful sailor has to know how to sail upwind, downwind across the wind and get out of “irons” .


Does it sounds familiar ?



(1) answer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

you are welcome to post a comment